“Enjoy your journey as you strive for wellness” | Laurette Gagnon Beaulieu
Who doesn’t enjoy a delicious snack? And if you can find a healthy alternative to something you enjoy, you’re winning in my opinion.
All credit for this following recipe goes to a lady by the name of Josie Wallace (@josie_eatyourselfstrong), an qualified online nutritional coach.
I have made this “healthy” banana bread more times than I can count in the past few months. I’m all about moderation, but this one disappears in our house (of only 2 people I might add) in a matter of 48 hours 🤭
If you want to talk about the comparisons between a traditional banana bread recipe and this one, in my opinion, this is just as good. If you’re going to eat this recipe as is (without anything on top) I would suggest nuking it in the microwave for 15/20 seconds, otherwise it can be slightly dry. BUT let’s be real, who eats banana bread with no toppings?🧐
See below for this fabulousness that you will thank her for later!
PROTEIN CHOCOLATE & WALNUT BANANA BREAD
(makes 8 large slices)
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork (approx. 250g)
- 1/2 cup / 70g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup / 50g almond flour
- 30g vanilla protein powder (I used Women's Best Chocolate Whey because that’s what I had)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp / 30ml coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp / 30g xylitol (or sugar alternative of choice)
- 30g walnuts, chopped
- 30g dark chocolate, broken into chunks (I used Nestlé)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius (355 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients
3) Then add all the wet ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until well-combined
4) Stir through the dark chocolate and chopped walnuts (saving a bit for the toppings)
5) Pour mixture into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with the leftover chocolate and walnuts
6) Bake in oven for 50 minutes - 1 hour (or until the knife comes out clean)
7) Leave to cool for 15 minutes and then slice carefully... and eat!
Nutritional values per slice - estimate only:
Until next time my loves ...